In 1798, Barton W. Stone was ordained as a Presbyterian minister. He began, but he had reservations about such doctrines as the "Westminster Confession of Faith." He advised his ordination committee that he accepted the doctrine "to the extent that it was consistent with the will of God." He was accepted. Yet he retained his reservations. In 1804, he declared the "Last Will and Testament of the Springfield Presbytery." This document remains a vital part of Disciples belief. It: "...expressed a stong desire for Christian union, affirmed the right of each congregation to govern itself, singled out the Bible as the only standard of Christian faith and life, and repudiated the Westminster Confession because it was both useless and harmlful." Stone established his following in a small building at Cane Ridge, in the Kentucky territory. He called his followers simply the "Christian Church."
About the same time, a young preacher in Bethany, West Virginia, by the name of Alexander Campbell, was gaining popularity. He called his followers the "Disciples of Christ." In 1824, he traveled to Kentucky and met Barton Stone. Upon discovering they were of the same mind, theologically, they decided to unite. And on January 1, 1832, in Lexington, Kentucky, a handshake drew the two (2) groups together.
After much discussion about which name to use, they agreed that unity was more important. Resultantly, they agreed to use both names: the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Barton Stone is quoted as having said: "Christian unity is our polar star."
In 1791, a log structure was built in Cane Ridge, approx. 8 miles NE of Paris, Kentucky. The area was so named by Daniel Boone because of the great cane brake he found on the property. It was constructed of blue ash logs, without windows and without chinking between the logs. It is the largest 1-room structure in the United States. "The Meeting House" still exists today, albeit it is surrounded by a brick structure to protect it from the weather.